My Story

My Story

I was born in Scotland and immigrated to Canada when I was four. I have lived and worked on a farm all my life and been working on it at spring and harvest since I was eleven. When I was twelve dad taught me how to drive the combine and I've ran it since then every harvest. In spring I worked the land for dad and he seeded. our farm was 2000 acres. In the summer I sail with the Manitoba Sailing Team and have been racing with them since I was 12 or 13 in a Laser Radial.

Tuesday 17 September 2013

catch up ....

well I've lost track of the days... sorry everybody we've been super busy. We came from erie through the Welland canal that was incredible I was really surprised how fast the water went down quite an experience for sure and allot of fender handling ! from the canal we went up to quebec city through the St.Lawrence seaway and a few more locks. We went through the thousand islands which was absolutely beautiful that was the first time I noticed that the trees were starting to change colour. I have no perception of the seasons or days of the weeks or dates. Ive converted my thinking to the watch schedule and my classes. Its a really cool feeling to have not to have any worries about the outside world.  while in the islands we went to singer castle which was owned by one of the presidents of the Singer sowing machine company. The caste was amazing it was based off of an old medieval castle in England and the owner built in, secret hallways, and doors, and passage ways from one of his favorite books. We passed Montreal and docked for a-bit to take on more life rafts, I think they expired or something. From montreal we sailed to Quebec City. our arrival wasn't the nicest it was very cold and raining while I was on watch. After we arrived the weather improved. I am really enjoying Quebec it is absolutely beautiful. the streets and architecture in the city is amazing. The first night we sat on the wall that surrounds upper quebec the whole wall is covered in cannons the french were really set up for an attack or war ! The other day we saw a harp player, a keyboard player, and a guitar/spoons player all on the same street amazing ! yesterday we went to a water fall outside of quebec the name escapes me right now. they were really cool too not quite as spectacular as Niagara Falls but still amazing to see. even more amazing was a cathedral that we went to. It is the biggest I have ever been to and absolutely beautiful on the inside. the ceiling was arched, it was painted and had gold leaf everywhere. truly an amazing feat of engineering to make and an artistic feat as well. the best thing about the excursion was the sugar shack though.... we went to a restaurant called the sugar shack and had a typical french meal there. pea soup, bread, ham, and crepes. Everything was eaten with maple syrup of course. Absolutely delicious. throughout the night there was a live musician playing the accordion. we all got up and danced and had a really good time. the floor was literally shaking. after the nights festivities we finshed off by having maple syrup taffy cooled on crushed ice. then we learned about the making f maple syrup and how it all works. 70 % of the worlds maple syrup is produced in quebec and the japanese seem to buy the most funny enough. so that is my rap-up of my past week. I now am about o embark on the maiden voyage of the ship we start or trip across the atlantic tomorrow morning. we are heading north for the crossing and will be above Newfoundland so I stocked up on thermal gear this will be a cold week or so until we start to head south. So I will speak to you all soon in the azores portugal.

No comments:

Post a Comment