My Story

My Story

I was born in Scotland and immigrated to Canada when I was four. I have lived and worked on a farm all my life and been working on it at spring and harvest since I was eleven. When I was twelve dad taught me how to drive the combine and I've ran it since then every harvest. In spring I worked the land for dad and he seeded. our farm was 2000 acres. In the summer I sail with the Manitoba Sailing Team and have been racing with them since I was 12 or 13 in a Laser Radial.

Sunday 27 October 2013

Cadiz Spain - parent port

Cadiz, we arrived in Cadiz 4 days ago on a beautiful morning I was one of the people chosen to "dress the yards". 30 of the student crew went aloft and stood on the yards as we came into dock. All of the parents were standing on the dockside waiting for us. due to a onshore breeze we had difficulty docking and had to use the ships winches to come alongside. meanwhile we were all getting tired of standings on the wire rope stirrups hanging from the yards. We finally were able to drop the gangway and consider ourselves docked we were told to climb down. Our parents were allowed to come aboard and we all said our hellos lots of mums and daughters cried. after that we were granted shore leave and we all left the boat first thing I wanted was a bath. Me and my parents headed to their hotel and I accomplished that goal. they brought me snacks from Heathrow airport which I was missing from home. a months supply of quavers, caramel wafers, galaxy chocolate, jammy dodgers, and ribena. My first day in port was just lounging around it was nice to get away from the people of the ship for a bit and and relax properly also catch up with my parents and see whats been happening these last few months. Second day we all explored Cadiz a bit My camera broke so mum and dad brought me a new one and I needed one or two things for it so we searched for a mall and took a train to get there. third day we all had a port program and we headed to Seville which is more inland than Cadiz. There was no schedule there so all the crew and their parents wandered around by themselves. Mum Dad and I visited a bull fighting ring and went on a guided tour of it. I learned that bull fighters tend to start when they are around ten years old. the sport is just as popular as it was in years prior and is a huge deal in both spain and mexico as much so as soccer. We also took a bus tour of the city and learned about its historical sites. the rest of our day was spent wandering around and looking at shops. I got a new pair of shoes and some socks. socks wear out quickly on the boat. we ended the day by driving home in the rental car my parents had instead of taking the provided bus which I did in the morning while my parents picked up my laundry from a local laundry mat. Driving home was nice because we could go at our own pace I liked to see the farm land on the way back. My last day was today and we again wandered around the city and looked at sites we went to apart of the Island that Cadiz is situated on that we hadn't gone to yet and found a beautiful beach and a walkway around the back of the city. There was a collection of stray cats that lives on the concrete blocks that formed the breakwater to the sea the streets of cadiz are so neat and tidy I guess that is the only place for them to go. We head for Morocco tomorrow and its a four day sail Im excited for the port program we go into the desert for a couple days on camel back that will be an experience of a lifetime !

No comments:

Post a Comment