My Story

My Story

I was born in Scotland and immigrated to Canada when I was four. I have lived and worked on a farm all my life and been working on it at spring and harvest since I was eleven. When I was twelve dad taught me how to drive the combine and I've ran it since then every harvest. In spring I worked the land for dad and he seeded. our farm was 2000 acres. In the summer I sail with the Manitoba Sailing Team and have been racing with them since I was 12 or 13 in a Laser Radial.

Friday 10 January 2014

atlantic crossing # 2


Atlantic crossing 2.0 it took us 16 days I think from leaving Cape Verde to our anchorage outside beautiful Bridgetown Barbados. The sail was great the start it we had relatively no wind AT ALL and we had a swim call off the coast of an island on Cape Verde. The water was amazingly clear you could see everything so so beautiful. The wind picked up the next day and we started our true crossing. Final exams were approaching fast and everyone was getting nervous we started 24 hour quiet hour in the banjer so people could study. Exams all went well for me with English being my highest score. The was the first sail I hadn’t been sick on so touch wood I’m done with that now thank goodness! We also had a snow day so all the student crew got school off and only daytime watch a nice break. The days started to pass and everyone new Barbados was getting ever closer. The wind shifted a few times which we had to alter course for so we didn’t manage to go straight across a few detours to keep our speed made good up. We got to Barbados early and had Christmas at anchor. We had two Christmases one on the 24th for the Norwegian and Danish crew who celebrate on the 24th and one for the rest of us who celebrate on the 25th. Our first Christmas dinner was sheep with potatoes and vegetables and second roast beef with potatoes and vegetables. Both very good meals and plenty to go around. We had a make shift service on fore deck and we sang hymns and carols. On the night of the 25th we had gift giving after dinner everyone had a secret santa aboard and we all made something for each other. I made and AB an iPhone case with a decal of his favorite tattoo that he designed on the back of it and he made me a tiny model of a Scottish tall ship that is now moored in Hawaii called the Falls of Clyde. It was a strange Christmas for me being away from home and Mum and Dad but still very nice the crew has become my family now and it felt just the same almost. Everyone called home on the ships phone to wish a merry Christmas to their families. Throughout the time at anchor we had swim calls and we set up a rope swing too. Super fun and fast too swinging down and then up and letting go 10 or 15 feet in the air. Again the maritime crew joined in Captain being the best as he always is. We took up anchor and motored into port and we got to explore a little bit before we all went home. Everyone said their goodbyes packed and headed to the airport anxious to get home and see family and get a good rest.     

No comments:

Post a Comment