My Story

My Story

I was born in Scotland and immigrated to Canada when I was four. I have lived and worked on a farm all my life and been working on it at spring and harvest since I was eleven. When I was twelve dad taught me how to drive the combine and I've ran it since then every harvest. In spring I worked the land for dad and he seeded. our farm was 2000 acres. In the summer I sail with the Manitoba Sailing Team and have been racing with them since I was 12 or 13 in a Laser Radial.

Wednesday 19 February 2014

Cape Verde


Cape Verde was our last port on the eastern shores of the Atlantic we managed to dock under sail with no help from the engine the engine was only used for the powered winches aboard which pulled us onto dock there was quite a strong onshore breeze which was pushing the ship away from the dock. We eventually got in and safely moored. Cape Verde had a beautiful new and very large port I guess it’s the last stop before crossing the Atlantic three cruise ship came and left during our stay which was only 4 days. Priai the capital was separated into two parts the main plateau where all the shops were and the residential and business level below. We took taxis everyday into town because the walk was too far. Too much wasted time, which is essential in ports. The Island was very nice full of lush greenery but still dessert like from my perspective like Africa it wasn’t like the normal tropical humid atmosphere that you find in the Caribbean Islands still quite a dry heat. Our port program was a crew barbeque on the beach. We launched the tenders and loaded up everyone and went to a beach slightly down the coast anchored and then all swam into shore. We made sand art, played soccer, through a Frisbee around, body surfed and snorkeled. Most of the maritime crew attended the Captain, First Mate, Bosun, Cook, an AB, and an OS all came with us. We stayed there until sundown and took the tenders back at dusk. The next day we had an all crew meeting to wrap up our semester together some of us were leaving in Barbados and this was our last port before they left. Everyone shared an accomplishment that they had made during the year so far and shared something they wanted to leave behind on that side of the Atlantic. After the meeting we took up mooring lines and set sail for Barbados again we managed with no engine We sailed straight off the dock. the sail to Barbados was great one tack for most of it averaging 8 knots all the way nearly. we anchored outside of Barbados for Christmas. everyone was given a secret santa and we all made gifts for one another. some gifts were better than others but everyone was very pleased with what they got. I made and iphone case for my secret santa and I got a handmade model of a Scottish tall ship. We had christmas dinner all together in the Banjer and got to sleep in on Christmas day. Shawn or bosun tied knots in a line attached to the end of the fore course yard ( bottom of the fore mast ) and made it into a rope swing we had swim calls, watched movies and had activities on deck. A strange but nice christmas my first one from home. We all flew on the 27th so after christmas was just pacing and cleaning of the ship. We were all driven to the airport and said our goodbyes and since we weren't with Class Afloat anymore went straight to the bar. 

No comments:

Post a Comment